The Challenge of Data Management in the Federal Government
Take for a minute and consider these mind boggling statistics of how fast data is growing1:
- In 2019, the number of emails sent every minute was 188 million.
- At the beginning of 2020, the number of bytes in the digital universe was 40 times more than the number of stars in the observable universe.
- By 2025, the amount of data generated each day is expected to reach 463 exabytes globally.
Let that sink in for a minute and consider that the Federal Records Act established the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) to maintain and approve the government’s records and established that all federal records were to be kept indefinitely unless they are of a temporary nature and their destruction is approved by the NARA. When you couple the pace of data growth with the requirements federal agencies have to maintain records, the challenges that IT leaders face in efficiently managing archives becomes clear.
Archive as-a-Service: A Different Approach
To help federal agencies alleviate the burden of managing these challenges, many are turning to a long-term archive solution. While these solutions can be delivered in a public cloud, many federal agencies would prefer their data remain on premise. ViON’s Archive as-a-Service, is delivered via a private on/off-prem cloud, either in the customer’s data center or colocation facility. It is extremely cost competitive with public cloud offerings. For many agencies, this on-prem approach aligns more closely to their objectives for reliably and securely storingdata to meet their compliance, governance, or audit requirements. An on-prem as-a-service solution provides the IT organization with as much control over their environment as they desire. It could be a fully managed service where ViON provides management of the archiving, orfully operated by the customer inegrated with a level of professional services that ease the burden for the customer.. In addition, ViON’s Archive as-a-Service (AaaS) allows for configuration flexibility as well as choice of technology for the applicationViON’s Archive-as-a-Service integrates with leading OEM hardware and software solutions..
Advantages of Archive as-a-Service
- Privacy, Security & Regulatory Compliance – For federal agencies data security is critical. An on/off-prem private cloud solution provides archiving redundancy for data durability and resiliency as well as non-disruptive upgrades and policy-based data integrity checks. Additionally, ViON’s Archive as-a-Service protects data at rest using AES 256-bit encryption.
- Scalable Archiving – As demand requirements change, Archive as-a-Service can easily and quickly scale capacity to meeting the customers unique requirements.
- Reduced Capital Expenditures – Archive as-a-Service can provide greater storage efficiency by only charging for the capacity used allowing agencies to lower their investment in infrastructure and cost of ownership. Most of the upfront capital expenditure associated with implementing an archiving solution can be eliminated, with IT spend now becoming an operational expenditure.
- Flexible Billing Models – ViON’s as-a-Service offering allows organizations to only pay for the capacity needed, eliminating the need for over-provisioning and over buying.
The pace and volume of data creation within the federal government, aligned with the requirements to preserve that data indefinitely paints a clear picture of what a daunting task data management and data protection is across federal agencies. Keeping pace with the growth of unstructured data is only going to become more difficult. Data is being created faster than the organizations can manage it, leaving them with no choice but to accelerate their digital transformation. Archive as-a-Service provides the financial and technical flexibility to keep pace with the exponential data growth, while ensuring access to archived records, for however long they are needed, while reducing the burden on the data center and those who manage it.
Interested in learning more about Archive as-a-Service? Connect with us!
1 – SeedScientific Blog “How Much Data is Created Every Day?” – https://seedscientific.com/how-much-data-is-created-every-day/